There are seven elemental details on the hat. It represents the seven generations it will take to “fix this”.
- Denim. Sadly, the material between Chanie and the harsh climate when he began his walk toward home.
- Porcupine guard hair.
- Hand carved bone feather.
- Hand cut rawhide feather.
- Found feather.
- The matches. Always the matches.
- Hand embroidered orange thread “crack” inspired by Leonard Cohen - “There’s a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in."
The finish is weathered, rustic and resilient. Inside includes the incredible artwork of Jeff Lemire. The style is a combination of the crown shape of Gord’s now iconic Man Machine Poem tour hats and a brim shape similar to the hat gifted to him at the Assembly of First Nations by National Chief Perry Bellegarde.
Also included is an adorable denim change purse. The purple felt on the purse is the remnant felt used for Gord Downie's purple hat worn on the Man Machine Poem tour in 2016.
This hat and purse will be on display at the Walk For Wenjack Event at Evergreen Brick Works in Toronto on Oct 18, 2019.
Each $20 donation will constitute one (1) raffle entry. Donate in increments of $20 to increase your chances of winning (2 x $20 equals 2 raffle entries and so forth).
The raffle will end on Oct 22, 2019 at 6:00 PM EST.
All proceeds support The Gord Downie & Chanie Wenjack Fund.
#truth #hope #educate